There are many romantic notions about motherhood. Primary among them is the idea that once you have a child then the female body has finally done what it was born to do and you will be fitter and healthier than ever before.
Well, maybe. For me, in some aspects I have been healthier than ever - I feel I have a more worldly perspective on life that has made me calmer (or is it fatigue?), more mature (resignation?), and generally more mentally robust.
But, what you are not told, or even made remotely aware of is the flip-side of the coin. Forget all the things that can happen to you during childbirth and as a direct physical of childbirth. I am talking about the health issues that are caused by childbirth or arise as a result of the physical changes to your hormones.
In my case, the first health challenge has been with regards to my Thyroid. Specifically having a thyroid that has just decided to cease all operations and shut up shop. Which is a bit of a problem given the thyroid produces the hormones necessary for the efficient and effective regulation of ones brain activity, heart, and metabolism. And apparently it is not uncommon for women who have had children to suddenly have an underactive Thyroid (or hypothyroid). But try getting a doctor to diagnose this condition when you have a 6month old child, a 2year old toddler and are feeling tired, mentally fuzzy, have no memory and can't shift that baby weight. "Oh, that is just what it is like being a mother to two small children" is what a lot of people say and think. And I was one of them! So how do you get a condition like this diagnosed?
For me, it was actually my optometrist who noticed all was not as it should be. I was in to get a routine check up and to figure out why my contact lenses were annoying me. So she took a photo of my eye. I had to pay $40 for it as it wasn't covered by the government rebate, but I am sooo glad I did. Way up high, in the right hand corner of the photo, was a cluster of red stars - except they weren't red stars at all. They were haemmorrages that had taken place. Calmly yet confidently she recommended I see my doctor for a check up. Causes for such haemmorraging can include high blood pressure among other things - and as hypertension is common in my family then that was top of the list.
So to the doctor I went and after testing my blood pressure (150 over 100) which was way high, asking questions about what I was eating (I was over-weight and the answer was tuna), and checking my eyes, she ordered a blood test. Low and behold, my thryoid count came back so low my thyroid was practically dead!
Inspired that it wasn't just me, and motivated to take matters in hand, I decided to research what it means to have an underactive thyroid, and was educated by several sources - there is a wealth of information out there that can help the non-doctor really take control of their condition and change their lifestyle so being hypoactive is easily managed. Mary Shomon is a prolific author and a great source of information as are so many other websites that are easily accessed. There are some great books available online as well.
Suffice to say, since the diagnosis (I have Hashimoto's Disease) and several increases in medication later, I am feeling like a different person - or more particularly, a better me. Upon reflection, I seriously wonder what kind of mother I could have been (not to mention a wife!) if I had continued to feel soooo lethargic, moody, weepy, befuddled and just crappy. And as I said earlier, hypoactive thyroidism is more common than you think, and is estimated to affect 1 in 15 women. So that is a lot of friends and family of those women that are suffering too!
So I encourage all women to do yourself a favour and get that simple blood test done and have your thyroid checked. Don't be a matyr. Don't think your health should come second to everyone else. Get it done and get better.
No comments:
Post a Comment