Renovating a house has many many trials...but lets face it, it is also an opportunity to look at those gorgeous, glossy house magazines and actually realise that you will also have the opportunity to work on a blank space and stamp your mark on it.
So - far from being overwhelmed by the task at hand, I have decided to embrace my inner-interior-designer (iid) and devote hours upon hours to the crucial task (some would read "waste of time") of ensuring my own little patch looks less like a sterile magazine catalogue, and more like a place where I can be surprised and delighted with the things that I have decided to surround myself with. And I don't think it matters if objects don't "match" in that cutesy-Martha-Stewart-matchy-matchy way. As long as you select things for your home that you love, then that will be the standard continuum that connects them all.
SO:
Websites I have trowled in search of inspiration, whimsy and delight for the house include:
www.etsy.com
This is an outstanding website that defies description, but is like a global network of artisans who craft their goods by hand and then sell on the internet. Beautiful stuff, you could spend DAYS on this site. My pick at the moment is the vinyl decals that will be more than likely adding that bit of whimsy to a frosted glass door and the frosted glass wall in the upstairs bathroom.
http://www.haveyoumetmissjones.com.au/aboutUs.htm
Great aussie design store that has the ex-Australian MD of Diesel sourcing gorgeous objects d'art for the home. Speciality items are the white porcelein figurines, dishes, lamps and vases. Just gorgeous. And well priced too.
www.cocorepublic.com.au
ok, not sure if I will ever actually BUY anything from here - it is not cheap - but it showcases fantastic furniture and accessories from global brands (think Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Martha Stewart), and is a good starting point to get an idea of what you like. Here is hoping their sales are worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment